Blog Post #2

     I can confidently say that I am comfortable using Microsoft Word for writing and completing different assignments due to my K12 experience. I learned how to write many of my first essays on Microsoft Word, and continued to do so through the software until my freshman year of high school. When I started my freshman year, I was introduced to an application called Pages, where I could also write papers and complete various assignments. I quickly became more comfortable with this application, because I found it easier to navigate. I would prefer this software, but I also enjoy using Microsoft Word as well. 

    After reading the ISTE Standards for Educators, the standard that stuck out the most to me was the designer standard. This standard states that through various technologies and creative resources, teachers can create facilitate a great learning experience for their students. I find this extremely important because I believe that students learn more material when in a creative environment. Having various ways to achieve this environment would make sure that they are grasping the material that they're being taught, and help them remember it easily. 

    I disagree with Mark Prensky's assumptions about "digital natives". A "digital native" is one that has been born in the same timeframe as recent technologies, and can better understand these technologies than older generations. Another main assumption is that these people are more likely to understand and operate newer technologies than "digital immigrants". I believe that there are many forms of technology that my teachers are far more familiar with than I am, and I find myself having a harder time to grasp. For example, my teachers in high school were extremely familiar with a program called flipgrid. I had a hard time learning how to use this software, and they were able to navigate it better than I could. In the future, I anticipate many differences in the technology that we know how to use. There will likely be times where i am far more familiar with a program, and times where they know more about the software than me. 

Comments

  1. Hi Alex, thank you for the thoughtful post. You made a great point about the benefits of creating personalized materials using technology so that diverse learners can grasp them more easily. Designing a newsletter this week would have allowed you to practice playing a role as a designer, hopefully. I appreciate you pointed out that people could have different skills and knowledge about different technologies regardless of whether they're younger or older. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment